Wednesday, November 3, 2010

2002 Michel Arnould "Mémoire de vignes"

100% Pinot Noir
Age of vines: 40 years from Moulin de Verzenay hillside
2002 is the debut release of this cuvée
Glass: Spiegelau Adina "Red Wine"

Bugger – I can’t find the paper were I scribbled a few lines down about this wine. Oh well – I will have to do it from memory then.

I have tasted this Champagne once before in a big Champagne tasting I held in May-09 – but this is the first real date. I bought this Champagne from the recommendation of Richard Juhlin and having the chance to ask him when he thought it would enter a drinking window he said; “10 years”. Well I can’t wait this long – but it’s certainly a Champagne with further potential. It’s also a somewhat old school bottle of Champagne – but in a good way. Old School is notes of dark bread and sour dough and the autolysis notes just slowly starting to shine through. But there is a brilliant harmony and intellect to be found in the spicy section – which are both adding edge and sophistication. The taste is very concentrated and the spices are also found here and again they provide beautiful balance to a long vibrant, very smooth and mouth-coating aftertaste. I can’t help to compare it a little bit with cuvée Winston Churchill from Pol Roger.

A solid and very good bottle of Champagne.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdm0YWDcrz8&feature=player_embedded#!

:-)

Kh
MR

Thomas said...

Hæ! -Ingen kommentarer ;-).

Anede ikke man kunne få denne producent i DK - jeg har købt den direkte fra producenten.

God Panje i øvrigt...skriver om den snarest. Har lidt flere - den skal du smage en dag.

/T

Anonymous said...

Hej Thomas

Blev lite överraskad att du gillade Michel Arnould då jag också tycker den är väldigt
bra :-)

Tyvärr svår att få tag i, har endast två kvar i min källare.

Kommer du till Stockholm snart?

/Anders

Thomas said...

Hi Anders,

How nice to hear from you again.

Yes I liked it, as you can see.

Oh....I WILL come to Stockholm again and haven't given up on the idea for 2010 yet, but work is insane at the moment.

Rest assured that I am on the case.

Best,
/Thomas